The structure of classes
The meditation group is inspired by the Buddhist Teacher and Monk Thich Nhat Hahn.
Every class follows the same structure
- Welcome and introductions of the topic for the evening
- Guided meditation
- Check-in what is your internal weather
- Silent sitting, 15 minutes
- Reading from Buddhist or mindfulness teaching, to deepen our understanding of the mindfulness practice.
- Mindful speaking and listening, in sharing our experiences about the meditation.
- Guided compassion meditation, loving-kindness
For the avoidance of doubt, we are not a therapeutic group. With some mental health issues, ie depression, severe anxiety, schizophrenia it may not be helpful with meditation, please discuss this with your GP before coming to the classes. And our classes have a minimum age limit of 16 and we regret that children cannot be brought to our meetings.
The benefit of practicing in a group
The Fertile Soil of Sangha, Thich Nhat Hanh on the importance of community.
"A good community is needed to help us resist the unwholesome ways of our time. Mindful living protects us and helps us go in the direction of peace. With the support of friends in the practice, peace has a chance." To read more about this see this link, https://tricycle.org/magazine/fertile-soil-sangha/
And the Buddha himself, again and again, stressed the value of spiritual friendship as a support for the Buddhist path throughout the entire course of its practice.
“Spiritual friendship is not half the spiritual life. It’s the entire spiritual life!”
Read more about it in this text https://bodhimonastery.org/spiritual-friendship.html